Saturday, December 31, 2016

Top Ten Books I Read in 2016

I always struggle with coming up with my favorite anything.  If someone asks me what my favorite book (or movie, or TV show, or song) is, I always think, "Oh, you mean my favorite fifty books (or movies, or TV shows, or songs)?"  Because it is very, very hard for me to narrow it down to just one, or even ten.  But for the sake of this list, I'm going to do my best to narrow down my favorite books from 2016 to just ten.  These weren't necessarily published during 2016, but I read them this year.  I'm also not including books I've read before, because Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings would top the list every year.  Also, these are in no particular order.

(You can click the covers to be taken to the Goodreads page for each book!)











I also feel I would be remiss as a Harry Potter fan if I didn't mark these two as honorary favorites:




The most surprising book I read this year would definitely be Lonesome Dove.  Lonesome Dove has always been in my life, as my dad watched the miniseries a thousand times when I was little, but I was never interested in reading it before this year.  I'm not sure why, out of the blue, I decided it was time, but sometimes books come to you when you most need them.  I'm sure it surprised my dad when I asked to borrow it.  :)  When I started it, I was actually concerned that I wouldn't finish it, not because it's so long, but because I was afraid I'd be bored.  Westerns aren't usually my cup of tea, but I needn't have worried.  Going in, I figured it might get three stars from me, maybe four if I was feeling generous when I finished it.  But I never dreamed it would be a five-star book.  It was so good, and it definitely earned the title of "most surprising book of the year" for me.  I think I even saw a tear in my dad's eye when I told him I gave it five stars.


To see every book I read this year, click here (for Goodreads) or here (for text list on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment