Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Review: If We Were a Movie by Kelly Oram

Read:  February 5th - 9th, 2016

Type:  Kindle

Source:  I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.  I've also purchased my own copy.

Rating (out of five stars):

Where to find the author:  Website | Twitter | Facebook

View this book:  Goodreads | Amazon








From Goodreads:  Music meets Movies in this sweet college romance from the bestselling author of Cinder & Ella.  
NYU freshman Nate Anderson is a triplet who is desperate to escape his wild and crazy brothers. After they screw things up for him one too many times, Nate flees his housing situation and takes the first available room for rent as far from his brothers as he can get. 
Enter his new roommate Jordan - a quirky LA girl who believes that everything in life has already been done in the movies. In this heartfelt tale of love, friendship and family, Nate learns how to deal with his new adult life using Hollywood films as a guide.

If We Were a Movie is a quick, light read that focuses on Nate and Jordan, their burgeoning friendship, and their respective passions for music and movies.  Even though it is part of the Power of the Matchmaker series, it's very much a stand-alone.

Movie references abound, and it made me want to watch every single movie that was mentioned.  This book would actually make an excellent movie, now that I think about it.  It has all the necessary ingredients to be a perfect teen comedy or chick flick.

I loved the character development, as well as the chemistry between Nate and Jordan.  Their relationship was realistic, and I was rooting for them from the beginning.  The will-they-or-won't-they kept me reading way past my bedtime because I just had to know if things would work out for them.

I liked all of the characters, apart from Sophie, who is almost a caricature of a clingy girlfriend, and goes overboard trying to keep her boyfriend from leaving her.  I do realize that the story needed an antagonist, but she was insufferable, though that may have been the author's intention.  Regardless, she plays her part, and the story is neatly wrapped up by the end.

Fans of light, YA romance, especially those who love movies, should like this.  With excellent writing, interesting characters, and some laugh-out-loud moments, If We Were a Movie is an enjoyable and entertaining novel.  I would highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment