Monday, December 7, 2015

Review: The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller

Read:  December 1st, 2015

Type:  Kindle

Source:  Purchased.

Rating (out of five stars):

Where to find the author:  Website | Twitter

View this book:  Goodreads | Amazon



I've wanted to read this book for a while, and when I found out Amazon had it on sale for $0.99, I couldn't pass it up.  (As of December 6th, it's still on sale for that price!)

The Summer I Became a Nerd is about Maddie, one of the popular girls at her high school, and she has worked hard to establish her reputation.  She's a cheerleader and she's dating the school's star football player.  But Maddie has a secret - a part of herself she's kept hidden for years.  A secret that would ruin her reputation as one of the popular girls - she loves comic books.  She's always loved them, but after an unfortunate event at a Halloween costume contest years ago, Maddie learned to keep that part of herself hidden.  She's been able to live her double life with no problems, and figures she can at least finish her last year of high school with her reputation intact.
Then she meets Logan at her local comic book store, which she only entered due to desperate circumstances.  It becomes increasingly difficult for her to juggle all of her lies, and soon her relationships with her friends and Logan start to crumble.  She wants to stop hiding her true self, but she isn't sure if she has the courage.  Unfortunately, if she doesn't make a decision soon, she's going to lose everyone she cares about.

I loved this book.  It was a super-quick read (I read it in just a couple of hours), and it was just what I needed to pull me out of my reading slump.  I didn't want to put it down!

While I didn't always agree with Maddie's decisions, I still liked her as a main character, and I kept hoping everything would work out for her.  And, of course, there was a plethora of geeky references, which I absolutely loved.

The Summer I Became a Nerd is a cute, well-written YA romance, with believable main characters, and an interesting plot.  Highly recommended if you're looking for a light, geeky read.

No comments:

Post a Comment