Sunday, August 30, 2015

Review: The Most Powerful Women in the Middle Ages: Queens, Saints, and Viking Slayers, From Empress Theodora to Elizabeth of Tudor by Melissa & Michael Rank

The Most Powerful Women in the Middle Ages: Queens, Saints, and Viking Slayers, From Empress Theodora to Elizabeth of Tudor by Melissa & Michael Rank

Read:  June 12th - 15th, 2015

Type:  Kindle

Source:  Borrowed from Kindle Unlimited

Rating (out of five stars):

Where to find the author(s):  Michael Rank's Website
 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18478557-the-most-powerful-women-in-the-middle-ages?from_search=true&search_version=service





I was severely disappointed by this book for several reasons.  My biggest problem was the amount of grammatical errors and typos.  It was sorely in need of an editor, as well as a fact-checker.  I also had an issue with the pop culture references.  As a reader, it was exceedingly jarring to be in the middle of a chapter about an ancient queen, and then suddenly run across a reference to Foot Locker.

I would consider this more of a quick-reference guide rather than an in-depth study of powerful women in the Middle Ages.  Some of the chapters skipped around, and it was difficult to keep track of the timeline.  I noticed it most during the chapter on Joan of Arc.

With only one brief chapter for each woman, this book only scratches the surface of the lives of these women.  You could probably get just as much information by browsing Wikipedia, and at least Wikipedia provides sources. 

I can't recommend this one, unless you're just looking for a quick overview of women in history, and aren't concerned with accuracy. 


2 comments:

  1. This is too bad! From the title I was so excited to see your review and more information, but I guess it's not deserving of the excitement :(

    Erin
    http://sexycardi.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited when I first saw the title, as well. It just sounded so fascinating, but it definitely didn't live up to my expectations. :(

      Delete