Saturday, April 25, 2015

Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon, Update #1

Hi everyone!  I thought I'd post a quick update on my read-a-thon stats so far. 

I didn't get started until 9:15 as I wanted to sleep a little later this morning.  After getting up at 5:00 every weekday morning, I look forward to sleeping a little later on Saturday.  ;)  Plus, I was awake at 3:30 this morning due to a storm that woke me up, and I didn't fall asleep again until close to 5:00, so I needed to make up for those couple of hours. :) So, anyway, I started at 9:15 and took a break at 10:00 so I could get some breakfast, and then read until 12:00.  I decided to take about a 30-minute break to walk around and post this update, then it's back to reading.

I'm actually very excited about this read-a-thon, because this is probably the first time that I've planned on reading for the whole day.  In the past, something has always come up - usually family plans - and I always feel weird telling someone I can't go somewhere because I have to read all day.  While it isn't strange to me, it is strange to friends and family.  Unfortunately.  :P  I had a brief scare last night when a family friend said she was going to ask me to go thrift-store shopping with her today (Yay for cheap, new books!), but changed her mind due to the chance of severe weather for this afternoon.  I'm sure my thoughts were all over my face:  "No, I can't go shopping for new books tomorrow, I have to read!  Oh, you don't want to go tomorrow?  YAY!  We can totally make plans to go another day!"  From terror to relief in fifteen seconds flat.
 
My first book of the day is Cress by Marissa Meyer.  I actually started it yesterday, but I'm planning to finish it up today.  I remember not really being a fan of Cinder when I first read it, but I enjoyed Scarlet a little more and was excited to start Cress.  I haven't been disappointed so far.  I really like the character of Cress and her growing relationship with Thorne.  I can't wait to find out what happens, and I'm already looking forward to Winter!  I'm currently at 45%, so hopefully I will have made a lot of progress before my next update!

Good luck to everyone participating in the read-a-thon!  Feel free to leave a link to your read-a-thon posts, and I'll be sure to stop by and leave some encouragement!  :)

8 comments:

  1. I wasn't a huge fan of Cinder when I read it either. I think my expectations were far too high but it's put me off reading Scarlet a little bit. Good luck with the rest of the read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a while before I decided to give Scarlet a chance. I read Cinder two years ago, and didn't read Scarlet until last month. I probably wouldn't have bothered reading the sequels if I hadn't already purchased them. I'm glad I did, though, because Scarlet and Cress are much better than I remember Cinder being.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Explaining the Readathon to people who aren't big readers is always interesting! I'm so glad you ended up with a free day. Keep on reading those books!

    #TeamPopper

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are doing very well. I'm here to cheer you on from Texas. Glad that your thrift book shopping could happen another day. :-)

    Happy reading! Go Team Popper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the eleventh hour and you are approaching the halfway point. reward yourself with a breath of fresh air, a hot beverage of your choice and ... another burst of pages! We're here to help! #TeamMrPopper

    ReplyDelete