Thursday, January 15, 2015

Review: Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett



Read January 6th - 9th, 2015.


(Source:  My bookshelves.  I purchased it years ago.)

The Re-Read Challenge:  1 / 20


Good Omens is the first book I read for The Re-Read Challenge this year.  Sometimes books don't hold up well after multiple re-reads, but this one does.  I think this was my fourth time to read it, and it probably won't be the last.

I find it hard to review books that I've read several times, or that I just really love, because I don't like whittling my thoughts down to a few paragraphs.  As silly as it seems, it feels like it will lose some of its essence if I try to explain just why I like it. 

Neil Gaiman has been one of my favorite authors for several years, and this is definitely one of my favorite of his books.  I think his style meshed really well with Terry Pratchett's.  It seems like an odd subject for a novel - the Apocalypse - but it's not as dark or sinister as it sounds.  It's light-hearted and comical, and really makes you think.

The characters are well-written, and though they sometimes veer close to over-the-top, they never actually cross the line.  The plot is original, and even after reading it several times, I still found myself engrossed in the enchanting storytelling.

I would highly recommend this to fans of satire, Neil Gaiman, and Terry Pratchett. 


Rating (out of five stars): 

Click to view this book on Amazon

Neil Gaiman's website

Terry Pratchett's website




No comments:

Post a Comment